Friday, November 20, 2009

Johnny

Johnny doesn’t know, what Johnny doesn’t see, and Johnny doesn’t see anything. Johnny just walks around, in the dang dirty dark, and waits till it takes him.

Johnny use to sing, and everyone liked it, but Johnny don’t sing no more, because Johnny’s gone.

Johnny left on the noon train, when the sun was high, in the dark. He stepped onto the platform and then stepped into the train’s way. Johnny let the train take him, he let the wind blow by him. He felt the rush, when dark changed to dark. When what little light there was went out.

Johnny comes back sometimes, he sits in the corner, between the dark and the light, not knowing which way to go. Johnny! I’m calling your name, for the night be it so cold. Johnny I’m wondering if time will betray us. Johnny, speak to me friend, for truly I am lost.

Then Johnny rained and he rained and he rained, until the hills flooded, deep and wet. Then the floods washed away the people and the trees and the stones and the places, until there was only me and Johnny. Still, though, he would not speak to me.

Johnny, oh Johnny, now that everyone’s gone, wouln’t you stretch out your arms and take me up above the bombs? The explosions fade into the distance, and what’s left of the world kills itself. The lava flows and covers the earth. Oh, Johnny, all is black! Oh Johnny, take me back! Because I am lost, between this world and that.