Friday, February 19, 2010

One more week down, who knows how many left to go.

Last week held three tests and so I was only able to scavenge a few interesting occurrences to tell you about. One in particular was my meeting a young chechen. I had never met a chechen before and took it upon myself to remember all facets of the expereince. Her appearance was a mix of arabic influence and Eastern European features. She was quiet, with a sincere appreciation of the kind of small talk one makes with strangers. She grew up in Jordan in a Chechen community there. This tension that occurred, with growing up in Jordan but being raised as a Chechen was extremely interesting to me. I guess, though I am German and Dutch, I consider myself foremost American and do not long for ancestral countries that I barely know. Hazdo( my spelling is probably horrible) means interesting in Chechen.

I just recently finished a short story, for a friend of mine, that detailed a recurring dream of being in love with a deaf woman (he's a musician). He very much enjoyed the story and I was glad for it. My current attempt at a long story/ novel has been coming along lately. I have based some of the images on photos taken by Allison Zarrow in Abandoned Tulsa. Her photos of an abandoned school building is the setting for one of the main character's most poignant interactions.

This last weekend was amazingly exciting. The boys and I decided to drive out to Denton. A charity event led us through a glass door into a game of underground dodge-ball. It was awesome. It was a half hour filled with sun tzu and balls flying quickly by the face. Afterwards I leaped into the back of a persons truck bed and enjoyed some 7-eleven delicacies with my new found friends. I wish all my life were so beautifully random. The next morning I met with my mentor at Cafe Brazil for breakfast. He convicted me as he always does and I was glad for the constructive criticism. Life is often critical yet rarely constructive. I spent the rest of the day reconnecting with an old friend and connecting with a new one.

This week was filled with smiles and laughs. Everyone was happy that testing week was over. I rode the honors college golf cart in the homecoming parade and threw candy at people. I also was able to take pictures of Ransom Hall before it was completely renovated. Abandoned Tulsa, though lacking in a few ways has really opened my eyes to the concept of industrial decay. To the idea of the rotting of something previously considered permanent and immovable.

Amidst all of this chaos I have come out with a piece that peaked my interest:


You stared into my eyes

and

smiled

And then

Looked away.

I looked at you

and

smiled

And then

Looked away.

I looked out the window

At the

Street.

It was all

Silvery glass.


You looked at

the

uncovered wall and

your breath

in the wind.

The brick

And the

White shadows.


You lit your cigarette and

I breathed in

The smoke.

An orange light on

And

Off.


Then you got up

And

Left.


I sat there

Smoking your

Cigarette.

As the time

passed me

by.



Another

Day in

Paradise.



No comments:

Post a Comment